D'BLOG

The Blog of Dabido (the Baka one). Everything in this blog is copyrighted. Copyright 2004, 2005, 2006 by D. Stevenson.

06 June, 2005

Black - White IAT

I ran into this test on Suanie's site - it was placed in the comments by Nic.

Well, I am a bit confused. I did the IAT Racial Bias test. Bascially, it's someting done by Harvard University which has shown that most American's (whether Black or White) have a slight bias towards whites. Yes, even the Afro-American's have the same slight bias.

Sure, I'm mainly from a white background - with some Asian in my family, but still, I somehow did something weird. I am apparently slightly biased TOWARDS black people! Ai Carumba! I didn't see that one coming. I would have thought I was pretty much in the middle or maybe even had a slight bias towards whites (though I wold have thought it wouldhave been unconscious). Instead, I am the opposite of the majority of Americans!

Here is the IAT Racial Bias TEST Location.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my results:

You have completed the Black-White IAT. The line immediately below summarizes the results of your task performance.

Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Black relative to White

The interpretation shown above is described as 'automatic preference for Black' if you responded faster when Black faces and Good words were classified with the same key as opposed to White faces and Good words. It is marked 'automatic preference for White' if you were faster when giving the same response to White faces and Good words. Depending on the magnitude of your result, your automatic preference may be described as 'slight', 'moderate', 'strong', or 'little to no preference'.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, now maybe I need someone to explain how I did that. Well, I know how I did it ... I did the test. I'm thinking more along the lines of how I did it psychologically. Do I really prefer black people over white people? Actually, usually I don't think I prefer any colour of people over any other colour. People are people. We all need to sleep, eat, have homes, have clothes etc. Basic needs for humans are the same all over the world. I should add Saftey too (almost forgot my hierarchy of needs pyramid! !!!) I wonder if it's more to do with te fact that I grew up in Malaysia for a short bit, so feel quite comfortable around Asian people? Or maybe it's for the fact that I associate a lot of EVIL people in the world with whites. After all, I've had a problem with authoritarian Nazi's through out my life, and the majority of them have been white's. [My father, ex-wife, religious zealots, bad managers! - actually, the religious zealots have been of all sorts of religions and all sorts of races!] Maybe it's just that I feel in a majority (or one) in this world, and find everyone scarey. Just for some reason I find black people less scarey than the white ones who seem to have a lot of power, especially when it comes to destroying the world! I wonder if I will score the same if I do the same test in ten years? Maybe I just associate all black people with Orpah and all white people with Hitler. That might do it!!!! Oh well. I guess I am just slightly racist against white honky's! They just been holdin' us poor other white people down for years! Get me my thinkin' hat Nadine! Time I done some thunkin'.