D'BLOG

The Blog of Dabido (the Baka one). Everything in this blog is copyrighted. Copyright 2004, 2005, 2006 by D. Stevenson.

24 July, 2005

Three More Buttons

Three More buttons for everyone to steal. Kimberly cun - who just turned twenty one. (see, it rhymes!) :-) F***stress (as I like to call her - though you can probably guess the missing letters) Nic -My UK pal who's fun to be with (yeah, been using that phrase since I started linking to Nic's site - Hitchhiker fans probably know where that comes from - any way, that line always cracked me up, so I stole it! Not an original thought in my HEAD! hee hee!) :-) I wanted to do Suanie and Mr S. Tiger - but haven't been able to get to their sites - I assume they are down for maintenance (or they have figured out how to block me! Bwahahahahahaaaa!) :-) Anyway - hopefulyl more buttons to come - becoming easier as I get the hang of Gimp and I learned after the first one. TIPS for anyone else deciding to use GIMP to make buttons.
  1. Copy another button into GIMP - size should be 80 by 15 pixels.
  2. Rather than enlarging the VIEW to 400% or 800% or something - actually rescale the button up to a size like 320 by 60 pixels. Easier when playing with photo's and stuff that way.
  3. Make a TEMPLATE from the original button - easier to change background colour with a SPLASH from the bucket rather than colouring it all in.
  4. Make a TEXT layer on top and just edit it when you need it. I made the mistake of saving the first one I did (KY's) with all layers merged - so text was uneditable after that. Also meant, when I tried to do the second one, the text kept re-appearing when I was trying to colour in the background.
  5. Muck about in GIMP till you get the hang of it. I used to in LINUX before, but I'm used to other graphics packages. (Corel Draw, Freelance Graphics, Harvard Graphics, Mirage, to name a few).
  6. After you finish editing the button, make two saves of it - first, save it at the 320 by 60 pixel level as a GIMP file (for easier editing later) and then rescale it to 80 x 15 pixels and save if as a gif file (to upload and share etc).
Hope those tips help anyone else doing some button creation. Also, if you do a button of your own, and want it to replace one I'v edone, then please send it along. :-)